What Can I Do?
(to help stop modern slavery / human trafficking)
“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.” – Edward Everett Hale
Everyday Abolitionists Funding the Frontlines of Freedom
- Take a one day, two week or month-long challenge
- Solo or with a team
- Raise funds for and awareness of an anti-trafficking NGO you believe in
What can I do? That’s the question I found myself asking when I found out about the injustice of modern slavery/human trafficking. Maybe you’ve asked that question, too. What can I do that will make a difference? What can I do that will matter?
Here are a few places to begin:
1. Buycott – Use the power of your daily, weekly or annual purchases to “vote” for companies who use or produce ethically made products and who are committed to ongoing review and active improvement of their supply chain. Don’t buy from companies who aren’t. Buying Fairtrade is a simple place to start. Or check out the Good On You- Ethical Fashion App.
2. Give – We can’t all work at a role with a primary focus on anti-trafficking, but we can support those who do. Consider giving to someone’s Freecember challenge and/or starting a monthly donation to an anti-trafficking organization you believe in.
3. Raise – Want to do more? Take a single day, two week or whole month Freecember challenge and raise funds for and awareness of an organization making a difference. It can be hard to know who to give to. By highlighting an organization you know and trust, you can help people (who maybe aren’t sure who to give to) find out about and give to a trustworthy and worthwhile organization making a specific difference.
4. Lead – Want to go even further? Captain or co-captain a Freecember Team. Gather and encourage a group to take a single day, two week or whole month Freecember challenge and help others raise more together than you could alone. And encourage and inspire one another along the way!
5. Learn & Focus – Millions of people enslaved can feel overwhelming. Thinking about what they go through can, too. There are many types of modern slavery/human trafficking in many places. We can’t stop slavery everywhere unless we do what we can to stop specific slavery in specific places. So, commit to learning more and focusing on one or two specific aspects of specific types of slavery in specific places.
What else can I do? What you can do specifically is going to be different than what others can do specifically. You may be a trucker, a teacher, a tattoo artist or a ten-year old. So, learn!
Where should I focus? What you focus on will be different, too. Who you are, what you’ve experienced and the places and aspects that you care about most will be a unique combination. So, learn!
Want to learn more? For a limited time get a free pre-release e-edition of We See The Same Sky: The Everyday Abolitionist’s 14 Step Guide from Awareness of Modern Slavery/Human Trafficking to Informed Action to Stop Specific Slavery
P.S. If this is something that is important to you, has touched your heart or you’re just not sure what to do next, drop us a note.
You’re not alone & You can do something!